21 November 2020 – Singapore Airlines (SIA) and SilkAir will offer a wider range of main courses on flights under 3.5 hours1 from 1 December 2020, providing customers with a greater variety of local Singaporean and international favourites on these routes as part of its new Economy Class meal concept.
More than 40 new dishes will be available on rotation on different flights, including Singaporean favourites such as congee, laksa and gravy-rich mee siam that were previously not available in Economy Class.
Customers can now enjoy these meals after SIA replaced its plastic casserole service ware with a new packaging solution, consisting of a leak-proof box and cup made of Forest Stewardship Council certified paper, a dessert box and a cutlery pack made of bamboo with a paper wrap. The unique box can hold the same amount of food as the casserole but is deeper and more secure, allowing it to retain gravy and soupy dishes without any seepage. It is also oven-safe and resistant to overheating, ensuring that food quality is preserved even after reheating.
The new meal concept was developed jointly by SIA and SATS, the Airline’s Singapore-based catering partner. After a study into potential pain points and areas of improvement in the short-haul in-flight experience, and following months of research and development, the companies designed a box that is both versatile and eco-friendly, and yet also enhances taste, variety and meal quality.
This will also reduce the amount of single-use plastics, including cups and polybags for cutlery, on the meal tray by 80 per cent by weight. Leftovers on the tray, including the new service ware, will be brought back to Singapore, sent to an eco-digester at SATS, and converted into pellets that can be used as refuse-derived fuel, a source of energy that can replace fossil fuel and coal. The onsite processing of waste reduces approximately 60 per cent of catering waste and further reduces emissions from transportation to the incinerator. In addition, the use of lighter paperware helps to reduce fuel consumption on flights.
Mr Yeoh Phee Teik, Senior Vice President Customer Experience, Singapore Airlines, said: “We are delighted to be able to offer a greater variety and quality of meals on our short-haul flights, including selections from Singapore’s popular local favourites that we hope both Singaporeans and international customers will find familiar and comforting. This is part of our continuous efforts to enhance the customer experience while keeping sustainability at the forefront of our operations.”
Mr Kerry Mok, CEO Food Solutions, SATS, said: “Developing eco-friendly packaging solutions that can improve quality of food has to take into consideration various challenges unique to the preparation of aviation meals. We are pleased to lend our culinary expertise and knowledge of food and packaging technology to collaborate with SIA to transform the travel experience.”
Visitors to SIA’s Inside Singapore Airlines tours in November 2020 will be the first to preview the new meals, which will be served at the event.
Please refer to Annex A for the list of potential meals in the new meal concept. Photos of the meals can be found at https://bit.ly/330XsJr. Details of SIA’s flight schedules from November 2020 to January 2021 can be found at https://bit.ly/3pFLrmd.
1Except flights between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Medan.
List of Potential Meals in the New Economy Class Meal Concept
|Main Course||Breakfast/All Day Dining||• Congee with Pork Ball and Century Egg*#|
• Mee Siam*#
• Fried Carrot Cake with Prawn*
• Nasi Lemak with Chicken*
• Chicken Congee#
• Scrambled Egg with Sauté Spinach and Potato, Herb Tomato Sauce#
• Scrambled Egg, Shashouka Spiced Tomato Sauce, and Chicken Chipolata • Pear Cinnamon Steel Cut Oat Porridge
• Vegetable Frittata, Mushroom, Baked Bean Ragout with Bacon
• Tomato Upma and Sambar
|Soups||• Beef Barley Soup|
• Beef Goulash*
• Chicken, Leek and Potato Soup
• Smoked Lentil with Chorizo Soup
• White Bean with Smoked Duck Soup
|Lunch/Dinner (Western)||• Chicken Bolognaise|
• Alfredo Pasta
• BBQ Chicken on Potato Cubes with Roasted Carrot and Beans
• Penne Pasta with Tomato and Basil Sauce*
• Penne Samfaina Catalan Pisto
• Lamb Albondigas
• Chicken Ala King and Cheese Mash with Roasted Pumpkin
• Braised Beef and Mushroom Ragout with Mash Potato*#
• Braised Beef with Dupay Lentils, Porridge Polenta, and Parmesan
• Beef Bourguignon
|Lunch/Dinner (Oriental)||• Salted Fish Fried Rice with Chicken*#|
• Sliced Pork with Ginger and Fried Rice
• Beef Brisket with Egg Noodles
|Lunch/Dinner (Ethnic)||• Thai Green Curry Chicken with Steamed Rice|
• Laksa Goreng
• Thai Yellow Curried Fish with Steamed Rice
• Chicken Curry with Rice
• Dry Mee Siam
• Chicken Biryani
• Tom Yum Bee Hoon with Cabbage, Carrot, Thai Chilli
• Japanese Chicken Curry with Rice
|Desserts||• Pulut Hitam Cake*#|
• Ondeh Ondeh Cake*
• Banana Sugee Cake • Coffee Milk Jelly
• Raspberry Cream Cake*
• Chocolate Fudge Cake
• Earl Grey Chiffon Cake
• Coffee Mousse with Pecan Crumble and Pear Compote
• Chocolate Mousse with Brownie Crumble and Salted Caramel Sauce
• Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
• Coffee Bavarian Cream
* Available for visitors at the Inside Singapore Airlines tours.
# Will be introduced on short-haul flights in December 2020.