Aviva Life & Pensions UK Ltd announces the completion of a £875 million bulk annuity buy-in transaction with the Aviva Staff Pension Scheme. This is the second deal with the Scheme, having announced a £1.7 billion transaction in October last year*
Aviva will insure the defined benefit pension liabilities of 2,868 members, removing the investment and longevity risk of these members from the Scheme. Members will experience no change in the amount of benefits they receive or the way in which they are paid as a result of the deal.
The Scheme Trustee was independently advised throughout the process by Hymans Robertson and Linklaters.
Brian Bussell, Chair of the Trustee of the Aviva Staff Pension Scheme, said: “The Trustee is delighted to have entered into this second buy-in with Aviva to continue to take steps to help secure the benefits due to our members. In addition to the existing longevity swap and buy-in, this recent buy-in helps to further reduce the amount of longevity and investment risk within the Scheme.”
Jamie Cole, Head of Bulk Purchase Annuity Origination at Aviva, said: “This latest transaction with the Aviva Staff Pension Scheme further underlines our capabilities and expertise in the de-risking market. It has been a year of uncertainty for many, but we’ve consistently helped schemes to secure member benefits throughout and we’re pleased to now support the Aviva Staff Pension scheme with the next stage of their de-risking strategy. We remain focused on the disciplined growth of our business and this transaction builds on the record £5billion of new bulk annuity business reported in our third quarter operating update.”
Michael Abramson, Partner at Hymans Robertson, said: “Hymans Robertson is pleased to have helped the Trustee take another meaningful step in its de-risking journey. In a turbulent year, this buy-in is a prime example of how pension schemes who are well prepared can move nimbly to take advantage of de-risking opportunities.”
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We will focus on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. Our International businesses in Europe and Asia will be managed for long-term shareholder value. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £522 billion (HY20) and our Solvency II capital surplus is £11.8 billion (Q320). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.