Boris Johnson expected to return to work next week after coronavirus battle

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to return to work as early as Monday — a month after testing positive for the coronavirus, a report said.

Johnson, who spent time in intensive care battling the illness, was discharged from the hospital on April 12. Since then, he’s been recuperating at his country home in Chequers.

The 55-year-old leader is planning to meet next week with cabinet ministers, who have faced heat for limited testing and a shortage of protective kits, the Telegraph reported Thursday.

Ministers have been working to address the testing shortage with an anticipated roll out of a mass testing and tracking program to help curb the spread of the virus.

Johnson has also faced criticism from opposition politicians who believe the prime minister reacted too slowly to the outbreak.

Britain has seen 18,738 coronavirus deaths, but is believed to be at or near its crisis peak.

President Trump on Thursday said he recently spoke to Johnson, saying the prime minister is “ready to go.”

“He called me a few days ago,” Trump said Thursday at the White House coronavirus task force press briefing, referring to Johnson. “I will tell you he sounded incredible.”

More:  Coronavirus: National edtech hub needed to close gap

“I was actually surprised. I thought he’d be like, ‘Oh, Donald, how are you?’ He was ready to go. I’m very surprised to tell you. It’s like the old Boris, tremendous energy, tremendous drive,” Trump said.

With Post wires



More from: | Category: Coronavirus News