WHAT HAS THE NATION BEEN ORDERING UNDER LOCKDOWN?
New Royal Mail research reveals what exactly the nation has been having delivered during lockdown, as nearly half (45%) of UK adults have been receiving more parcel deliveries since measures began.
- Home and garden items – including home décor, garden supplies and DIY equipment – are by far the most popular category of lockdown delivery (41%), as Britons have clearly been using the extra time at home to get those pesky jobs done around the house.
- However, home entertainment (33%), fashion (29%) and health and beauty (25%) items are also particularly popular.
- When asked to name their most unusual parcel delivery since March 23rd, responses range from home casino kits, to unicorn piñatas, to wrestling boots. A full replica model of The Flying Scotsman train even made it on to the list!
- More than one in ten (15%) UK adults has ordered a paid subscription box since lockdown began.
- One in five (19%) have been embracing their creative side during lockdown by ordering arts and crafts items. This is a fairly consistent trend across all age groups and regions of the country.
With just over half (51%) of UK adults agreeing that having their online shopping delivered is a ‘boost’ for them or their family, the research clearly points towards the increasingly important role that parcel deliveries play in our day to day lives. A third (36%) described receiving a parcel as the highlight of their day.
Shane O’Riordain, Managing Director of Marketing, Regulation & Corporate Affairs at Royal Mail commented: “Keeping the nation connected in these unprecedented times is of vital importance to us. It is perhaps unsurprising that for many customers, receiving an item that they have ordered online from our postmen and postwomen can really brighten up their day in such challenging times.”
“During the crisis we have also delivered vital Government mail in relation to coronavirus, including the Prime Minister’s letter to the nation and coronavirus testing kits. We are working closely with pharmacy companies and NHS trusts across the UK. And we are delivering many prescriptions and hospital appointments. This is also a key priority for us”
Notes to Editors
All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc.
Total sample size for national statistics was 2,082 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 7th – 8th May 2020. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all UK adults (aged 18+).
About Royal Mail plc
Royal Mail plc is the parent company of Royal Mail Group Limited, the leading provider of postal and delivery services in the UK and the UK’s designated universal postal service provider. UK Parcels, International and Letters (“UKPIL”) comprises the company’s UK and international parcels and letters delivery businesses operating under the “Royal Mail” and “Parcelforce Worldwide” brands. Through the Royal Mail Core Network, the company delivers a one-price-goes-anywhere service on a range of parcels and letters products. Royal Mail has the capability to deliver to more than 30 million addresses in the UK, six days a week (excluding UK public holidays). Parcelforce Worldwide operates a separate UK network which collects and delivers express parcels. Royal Mail also owns General Logistics Systems (GLS) which operates one of the largest ground-based, deferred parcel delivery networks in Europe.