– The GI Genius™ Module Assists Physicians in Detecting Pre-Cancerous Growths; Potentially Addressing 19 Million Colonoscopies Annually
– Transformative AI Colorectal Cancer Prevention Platform Expands Medtronic Capabilities in Medical Technology Data Analytics and Insights
“More than 19 million screening colonoscopies are performed in
“Colonoscopies allow highly skilled gastroenterologists to identify polyps and lesions that might develop into cancer. With GI Genius we can tap into the potential of artificial intelligence approaches to increase detection rates. This important new development helps us in our mission to detect colon cancer early and to improve patient outcomes,” said
The GI Genius module uses advanced AI to highlight the presence of precancerous lesions with a visual marker in real-time – serving as an ever vigilant second observer. It processes images using advanced algorithms that can identify and mark abnormalities consistent with polyps, including small flat polyps that might otherwise go undetected by the human eye. Studies have shown that having a second observer can increase polyp detection rates and every 1% increase in adenoma detection rate (ADR) reduces the risk of colorectal cancer by 3%.2,3 Use of the GI Genius module has demonstrated a 14% absolute increase in ADR compared to colonoscopy alone for both flat (42% increase) and polyploid (36% increase) lesions, thus increasing accuracy and reducing the rise of interval cancers which can occur between colonoscopies.4
“Medtronic is committed to preventing colorectal cancer and improving patient outcomes with disruptive technologies that aid screening, increase patient compliance, and improve treatment,” said
Medtronic is the exclusive worldwide distributor of the GI Genius module, which was developed and is manufactured by Cosmo Pharmaceuticals. The GI Genius intelligent endoscopy module received de novo clearance from the
Any forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties such as those described in Medtronic’s periodic reports on file with the
For detailed information regarding the instructions for use, indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, and potential adverse events, please consult the device manual. For further information, contact your local Medtronic representative.
- Globocan. Estimated number of deaths in 2018 worldwide, both sexes, all ages. Globocan Cancer Data. Published 2018. Accessed
- Wang P, Berzin TM, Glissen Brown JR, et al. Gut 2019; 68:1813-1819.
- Corley DA, Jenson CD, Marks AR JR, et al. NEJM 2014;370:1298-306.
- Repici, A., Badalamenti, M., Maselli, R., et al. Gastroenterology 2020; doi: https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2020.04.062.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/us-fda-grants-de-novo-clearance-for-first-and-only-artificial-intelligence-system-for-colonoscopy-medtronic-launches-gi-genius-intelligent-endoscopy-module-301266276.html