$2.5 Million USDMulti-Year Partnership Builds Capacity to Provide Pediatric Heart Surgery to 10,000 Children and Trains 10,000 Health Workersin Brazil, India, and China.
- The Partnership Strengthens Hospital Capacity, Reduces Health Disparities in Access to Care, and Engages Medtronic Employees in Strategy, Medical Education, and Technology.
“Every child with congenital heart disease deserves access to quality pediatric heart care,” said
Worldwide, the leading cause of death from a noncommunicable disease before age 30 is congenital heart disease.1 Ninety percent of children born with heart disease don’t have access to the care they need, and most of those children live in low- and middle-income countries.2
“We are especially proud because this partnership brings together both the financial resources from the
“We are honored to partner with
Specifically, the partners aim to actively address inequities in congenital heart surgery access and outcomes over three years by:
- Strengthening hospital capacity and training 10,000 health workers (pediatric surgeons, pediatric cardiologists, and nurses) to provide congenital heart disease surgery and quality outcomes for 10,000 children.
- Supporting CHL’s strategic growth and innovation, enabling the organization to scale in underserved countries – doubling its impact between 2025 and 2030 by adding five new partner hospitals over the next 3 years.
- Reducing health disparities in access to care through a mixed method study with partner hospitals, revealing key differences by gender, income, and socioeconomic status of families, and developing site-specific equity dashboards to foster continuous quality improvement.
- Tapping Medtronic employees’ skills and talents in domains such as clinical and medical education and training, technology development, market access, data science, and analytics.
For more information on the partnership, view this video.
About Children’s HeartLink
Children’s HeartLink saves children’s lives by transforming pediatric heart care in underserved parts of the world. For more information, please visit childrensheartlink.org.
1 Bennett JE, Stevens GA, Mathers CD, Bonita R, Rehm J, Kruk ME, et al. NCD Countdown 2030: worldwide trends in non-communicable disease mortality and progress towards Sustainable Development Goal target 3.4.
2 Tchervenkov, C. I., Jacobs, J. P., Bernier, P. L., Stellin, G., Kurosawa, H., et al. (2008) The improvement of care for paediatric and congenital cardiac disease across the world: a challenge for the
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-medtronic-foundation-and-childrens-heartlink-focus-new-partnership-on-health-equity-for-10-000-children-and-10-000-health-workers-in-underserved-countries-301263683.html