Travers Smith LLP is delighted to announce that it has been ranked in 12th place in the Stonewall Top 100 Employers list 2020, rising 13 places from its position in the 2019 list. In light of its work in progressing trans inclusion at work, the firm has also been recognised as a Top Trans Employer in this year’s ranking.
This year’s Top 100 was the largest ever with 503 employers entering, demonstrating their commitment to LGBT workplace inclusion. As part of the Top 100, Stonewall collects more than 109,000 anonymous responses from employees on their experience of Britain’s workplace culture and diversity.
From ranking as one of the lowest scoring law firms in Stonewall’s list of Top Employers in 2014, the firm’s rise in the rankings to 12th place highlights the remarkable progress made by Travers Smith in creating an inclusive workplace where people can be themselves and perform to the best of their ability. The firm’s work in progressing LGBT+ inclusion forms part of an innovative and transformative approach to diversity and inclusion (D&I) more broadly. Taking a “responsible individualism” approach, the firm has embedded inclusion as a core strategic principle. In addition, the firm’s D&I-related initiatives are unique in the sense that they break down silos, take an intersectional approach, and emphasise the responsibility of the majority – and not minority or under-represented groups – in creating an inclusive workplace.
Some of the highlights over the past year include:
- Delivering a student mentoring programme, in partnership with LGBT+ charity Just Like Us, to support LGBT+ graduates as they transition to the workplace.
- Launching the Travers Smith lgbtQ@cam Doctoral Bursary in partnership with the University of Cambridge, to support their work in building a world-leading LGBTQ research programme.
- Working with LGBT+ Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) leaders to create a toolkit to help empower people to become effective allies for the BAME community
- Working with international LGBT+ groups and leaders, including in partnership with LGBT+ charity GiveOut, to help progress inclusion in some of the most challenging regions in the world.
- Developing a suite of trans inclusion best practice guides for all staff and managers, along with rolling out a range of sessions to promote trans inclusion.
- Delivering training to all staff and partners on inclusive language and mitigating micro-aggressions.
In addition, our partner Daniel Gerring, Head of Pensions and Chair of the firm’s LGBT+ Group, has been ranked in OUTstanding’s worldwide 100 LGBTQ+ Executives List, placing in the top 25 internationally and the top 10 in the UK – and the highest ranked lawyer in the world.
Daniel Gerring said: “I am thrilled to see Travers Smith rise up through the rankings to 12th place in this year’s edition of the Top 100 Employers list. We have come a long, long way since we first participated in Stonewall’s Workplace Equality Index and we are honoured to see our hard work recognised in this way. We are particularly proud of the strong relationships we have built with a number of LGBT+ charities, industry leaders and other stakeholders and are looking forward to working with them on even more exciting initiatives over the coming months.”
Travers Smith’s CSR & Diversity Director Chris Edwards commented: “I am genuinely delighted to see the firm be recognised as one of the top LGBT employers in the country, which is testament to the genuine commitment of the firm’s leadership to diversity and LGBT+ inclusion. I am immensely proud to have played a part in helping create a workplace which truly embraces “difference” and celebrates authenticity, and I am looking forward to seeing how we can develop this work even further.”