- Mars Wrigley releases 2020 Cocoa for Generations report detailing progress on its journey toward creating a modern, inclusive and sustainable supply chain.
- As part of its Cocoa for Generations strategy, the iconic chocolatier aims to ensure 100 percent of its cocoa is sourced through its Responsible Cocoa program and traceable by 2025.
- Advancements include the launch of its Protecting Children Action Plan and the disclosure of its Tier-2 cocoa farmer groups.
- In response to Covid-19, the company donated US$5 million to CARE to help combat the virus in cocoa-farming communities, with US$2.5 million focused on Côte d’Ivoire and Ghana.
CHICAGO (Oct. 29, 2020) – Mars Wrigley today published its 2020 Cocoa for Generations report: Reshaping the Future of Cocoa. The report from the maker of iconic chocolate brands such as DOVE®, M&M’s®, MALTESERS® and SNICKERS®, details the company’s progress toward ensuring 100 percent of its cocoa is responsibly sourced and traceable by 2025, while creating a pathway to a modern, inclusive and sustainable cocoa sector.
Andrew Clarke, Mars Wrigley Global President said: “Today we recognize the progress we’ve made on our goals of increasing cocoa farmer income, protecting children, supporting women’s social and economic empowerment, and tackling deforestation. While some in the industry are accelerating with us, collectively we must go further and faster to reshape the cocoa sector. We’re calling for robust public-private collaborations so that human rights are respected, and the environment is protected, as we create a modern, inclusive and sustainable cocoa supply for the next generations to thrive.”
The report details Mars Wrigley’s significant 2019 progress and highlights key 2020 achievements to date, which include its Covid-19 response, the launch of its Protecting Children Action Plan detailing its approach to protecting children in cocoa-growing communities, the release of its Tier 2 cocoa farmer group disclosure and interactive map, and its efforts to halt deforestation in Côte d’Ivoire and Ghana as part of the Cocoa & Forests Initiative.
Mars Wrigley’s progress against the goals set out in its Cocoa for Generations strategy include:
- Protecting Children: Fifty-one percent of the total volumes of cocoa it sourced from at-risk areas in Côte d’Ivoire and Ghana came from farmer groups with Child Labor Monitoring and Remediation Systems in place.
- Preserving Forests: Building on its commitment to cocoa supply chain transparency, Mars Wrigley released its Tier 1 supplier disclosure followed by its Tier 2 farmer group disclosure accompanied by an interactive map.
- Improve Farmer Income: Mars was the first chocolate company to publicly support the Living Income Differential (LID) adopted by the governments of Côte d’Ivoire and Ghana and called on others to do the same. It also continues to work with the Farmer Income Lab on solutions to help improve farmer income.
Launched in 2018 and backed by past learnings and a US$1 billion investment, Cocoa for Generations has two pillars: Responsible Cocoa Today which focuses on cocoa being responsibly sourced and traceable by 2025, and Sustainable Cocoa Tomorrow which focuses on long-term scaling up of programs and collaborations shown to help improve productivity, diversify incomes and empower women and communities. Both are essential to Mars Wrigley’s treating and snacking business and the iconic and beloved chocolate brands that bring better moments and smiles across the world.
To learn more about Mars Wrigley’s commitments to protecting children, preserving forests and improving farmer income under its Cocoa for Generations strategy, visit www.mars.com/sustainability-plan/cocoa-for-generations.
ABOUT MARS, INCORPORATED
For more than a century, Mars, Incorporated has been driven by the belief that the world we want tomorrow starts with how we do business today. This idea is at the center of who we have always been as a global, family-owned business. Today, Mars is transforming, innovating and evolving in ways that affirm our commitment to making a positive impact on the world around us
Across our diverse and expanding portfolio of confectionery, food, and petcare products and services, we employ 130,000+ dedicated Associates who are all moving in the same direction: forward. With $40 billion in annual sales, we produce some of the world’s best-loved brands including DOVE®, EXTRA®, M&M’s®, MILKY WAY®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, ORBIT®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, SKITTLES®, BEN’S ORIGINAL™, WHISKAS®, COCOAVIA®, and 5™; and take care of half of the world’s pets through our nutrition, health and services businesses, including AniCura, Banfield Pet Hospitals™, BluePearl®, Linnaeus, and VCA™.
We know we can only be truly successful if our partners and the communities in which we operate prosper as well. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire our Associates to take action every day to help create a world tomorrow in which the planet, its people and pets can thrive. The Mars Compass, inspired by the Economics of Mutuality, is used to measure the company’s progress in service of its purpose; The world we want tomorrow starts with how we do business today.
For more information about Mars, please visit www.mars.com. Join us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.