PHILADELPHIA (July 21, 2020) – The Urban League of Philadelphia (ULP) and Aramark, the leading U.S.-based food service provider, today announced a partnership that will provide 500,000 meals to qualified recipients in the Philadelphia area throughout the summer.
Through the partnership, Philadelphia-based Aramark will provide at least 65,000 meals per week to ULP distribution sites set up in local community churches, organizations and municipal buildings. All recipients 18 years old and under will receive breakfast and lunch snacks for multiple days twice per week under the National School Lunch Program. The Summer Food Service Program, which is a USDA-approved program, runs through August 30, 2020.
“Feeding children in need in our community this summer is critically important,” said Andrea Custis, president and CEO of the Urban League of Philadelphia. “We are thrilled to partner with Aramark to make this possible.”
“We’re honored to partner with the Urban League of Philadelphia to provide continuity and community access to meals this summer, especially during this public health crisis,” said Barbara Flanagan, president of Aramark’s K-12 Education division. “These are incredibly challenging times for our country and our city and Aramark is proud to assist the local community – our hometown — to help ensure that children and families stay nourished.”
Since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, Aramark has safely provided 53 million free meals to students, in nearly 300 school districts across the country, and continues to serve one million meals to school children daily.
Summer meals distribution locations:
West Philadelphia Sites
- Mount Carmel Baptist Church – 5732 Race St. Philadelphia, PA 19139
- Philadelphia Masjid – 4700 Wyalusing Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19131
- Sharon Baptist – 5845 Catherine St. Philadelphia, PA 19131
- Sharon Baptist – 3955 Conshohocken Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19131
- St. Matthew AME Church – 215 N. 57th St. Philadelphia, PA 19139
- Vine Memorial Baptist Church – 5600 W. Girard Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19131
- Global Leadership Academy – 5200 Pine St. Philadelphia, PA 19131
North Philadelphia Sites
- Dare to Imagine Church – 6610 Anderson St. Philadelphia, PA 19119
- Piney Grove Baptist Church – 5021 N. 17th St. Philadelphia, PA 19141
- St. John’s Memorial Baptist Church – 924 Cambria St. Philadelphia, PA 19125
- The Kingdom Life Church Ministries – 770-800 W. Tabor Rd. Philadelphia, PA 19120
- St. Andrews Baptist Church – 4910 Wayne Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19144
- Tioga United Inc. – 1539 W. Venango St. Philadelphia, PA 19140
- Kitchen of Love – 8500 Pickering St. Philadelphia, PA 19150
South Philadelphia Sites
- Bryant Baptist Church – 1144 S. 19th St. Philadelphia, PA 19146
- Yeshua Ministries Worship Center – 2301 Snyder Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19145
- Mother Bethel AME Church – 419 S. 6th St. Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Unity in the Community – 2341 Wharton St. Philadelphia, PA 19146
Delaware County Sites
- Chester Township Municipal Building – 1150 Engle St. Chester, PA 19013
- Borough of Eddystone – 1401 9th St. Eddystone, PA 19022
- Borough of Folcroft – 1555 Elmwood Ave. Folcroft, PA 19032
- Chester Heights Borough – 222 Llewllyn Rd. Chester Heights, PA 19017
As part of its broader 2025 sustainability plan, Be Well. Do Well., Aramark is working to reduce inequality, support and grow local communities, and protect the planet. The Company is investing in partnerships, like this one with the Urban League, to help communities end hunger and achieve food security by improving access to healthy food.
About Urban League of Philadelphia
The Urban League of Philadelphia, an affiliate of the National Urban League, is a nonpartisan civil rights organization that has empowered African Americans and other underserved communities for more than a century. Through housing, employment, entrepreneurship, youth development, health and wellness and advocacy, we impact more than 15,000 children, youth and families a year. To learn more about ULP, visit www.urbanleaguephila.org and follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for more information.
Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) proudly serves the world’s leading educational institutions, Fortune 500 companies, world champion sports teams, prominent healthcare providers, iconic destinations and cultural attractions, and numerous municipalities in 19 countries around the world. Our 280,000 team members deliver innovative experiences and services in food, facilities management and uniforms to millions of people every day. We strive to create a better world by making a positive impact on people and the planet, including commitments to engage our employees; empower healthy consumers; build local communities; source ethically, inclusively and responsibly; operate efficiently and reduce waste. Aramark is recognized as a Best Place to Work by the Human Rights Campaign (LGBTQ+), DiversityInc, Equal Employment Publications and the Disability Equality Index. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.